- Nazi Conspiracy and Aggression
- Vol. VI
Translation of document 3560-PS
1939 REICHSGESETZBLATT, PART 1 PAGE 2042
Decree of the Fuehrer and Reich Chancellor
concerning the Or-
ganization and Administration of the Eastern
Territories, October 8, 1939
(1) In the process of reorganization of the Eastern
Territories the Reich Districts [Gaue] of Western Prussia
and Posen shall be incorporated as parts of the German
(2) The Reich District shall be administered by a Reich
(3) The Reich Governor in Western Prussia shall have his
official residence in Danzig; the Reich Governor in Posen
shall have his official residence in Posen.
(1) The Reich District of Western Prussia shall be
subdivided into the government districts of Danzig,
Marienwerder, and Bromberg.
(2) The Reich District Posen shall be subdivided into the
government districts of Hohensalza, Posen, and Kalisch.
(1) For the organization of the administration in the Reich
districts, the statute concerning the organization f the
administration in the Reich District of the Sudetenland
(short title "Sudeten Statute") of April 14, 1939 (RGB1. I,
p. 780), shall apply unless modified by this decree.
(2) All branches of the administration shall be subject to
the jurisdiction of the Reich Governor. The Reich Minister
concerned, upon the transfer of special branches of the
administration to the existing Reich administrative
agencies. Special agencies for counties shall be subject to the
jurisdiction of county commissioners until further
By including adjacent territorial parts in the
province of Silesia the government district of
Kattervitz, and in the province of East-Prussia
the government district of Ziehenan shall be
(1) The boundaries of the Administrative Districts
(Sections 1, 2, and 4) shall be determined by the Reich
Minister of the Interior, in agreement with the Prussian
President of the Cabinet, as far as the Administrative
boundaries between the recovered territories and the
adjacent provinces are concerned.
(2) The Reich Minister of the Interior shall regulate the
formation for urban and rural counties insofar as it is
required by the reorganization.
(1) Residents of German blood or of racially related blood
shall become German nationals in accordance with further
provisions to be issued.
(2) Residents of German origin in these territories shall
become German citizens in accordance with the Reich
The law heretofore in force shall continue in
effect unless incompatible with the fact of
incorporation in the German Reich.
The Reich Minister of the Interior may, by means
of general orders, and in agreement with the Reich
minister concerned, introduce Reich law and
For the territory of the former Free City of
Danzig, the provisions of Sections 3 and 4 of the
Law concerning the reunion of the Free City of
Danzig with the German Reich of September 1, 1939
(RGB1., I, p. 1547) remain unchanged.
The Reich Minister of Finance shall arrange, in
agreement with the Reich Minister of the Interior,
the questions arising from the reorganization in
the sphere of the adjustment of finances.
(1) The Reich Minister of the Interior and the Reich
Minister of Finance or the agencies determined by them shall
financial adjustment required by the
reorganization as well as the measures herewith
(2) Dispositions in accordance with (1) shall establish
rights and obligations of those concerned and shall effect
the transition, the restrictions and the annulment of real
(1) The Reich Minister of the Interior shall be the
official chiefly responsible for the reorganization f the
(2) He shall issue the general rules and regulations
required for the enforcement and execution of this decree.
(1) This decree shall take effect as of November 1, 1939.
(2) The Reich Minister of the Interior may, for specified
areas, declare the provisions of this decree to be in effect
at an earlier date.
Berlin, October 8, 1939
ADOLF HITLER, Fuehrer and Reich Chancellor
GOERING, General Field Marshal, President of
the Council of Ministers for the Defense of the
FRICK, Reich Minister of the Interior
R. HESS, Representative of the Fuehrer
DR. LAMMERS, Reich Minister and Chief of the